[Harp-L] SPAH convention on the cheap

   I'm not a SPAH spokesman, just a member since 1991.  I've attended 16 of
the SPAH conventions.  Often I've brought other harp players and guests with
me who have paid for the full packages.  If I say anything here that runs
counter to SPAH policy; hopefully Warren Bee or Tom Stryker will step in and
make a correction.
   I would hate to think that anyone on our list within driving distance of
Sacramento might be scared away from visiting the convention because of some
of the dollar figures being mentioned here.  There are definitely ways to
eat away at those numbers, even dispense with them altogether.
   As Warren pointed out, SPAH is a non-profit organization.  It ain't
exactly swimming in funds.  Over the years; I've seen people "crash" the
convention, hang out without paying anything.  I don't endorse that, even
though it was obvious to me that some of these people were excellent players
and seriously low on cash.  One year there was a street busker from England
who I am convinced was either hiding in the hotel at night or sleeping in
some bushes outside.  A few weeks or months later a buddy of mine
encountered him busking at Chicago's O'Hare airport.  Probably living in the
airport and trying to earn his ticket back to England.  Believe me, there
were others who never dropped a dime at the convention.
   In the past and even a little now, the convention tends to get busier and
the seminars more "celebrity" hosted as the week wears on.  Save yourself a
few hotel bucks and come later.  Myself, I usually grab a cheap meal on the
road and show up Thursday right after lunch.  I leave my luggage in the car,
catch Joe Filisko's roomful of celebrity seminars and officially check-in at
3:00pm or 4:00pm if I can.  Last year I brought a guest and I can tell you
that they were really "dealing" at the convention registration desk.  They
were selling day passes and discounting stuff.  I think my buddy wound up
paying less for a full convention package than I did registering months
before!  If you're uncertain about stuff or financially strapped, buy a day
pass.
   I love the banquet and wouldn't miss it.  But if you're a first timer and
maybe only interested in a specific kind of playing you might find it
tedious to sit through a harmonica trio or classical act. Or a half-dozen
awards with sometimes lengthy introductions followed by acceptance
speeches.  I think maybe twenty minutes of your evening will be spent
entirely on clapping.  Your palms will hurt.  Your legs will get a good
workout from all the standing ovations.  Though it has been streamlined,
there will be endless raffle numbers read off.  I actually know a lot of
these people so I enjoy the whole thing. The camaraderie is wonderful.  But
for someone trying to save some money, skipping the dinner might make
sense.  And often, in my opinion, the Friday night entertainment is superior
to the banquet line-up.
   SPAH needs money, but it also needs people in order to regenerate
itself.  If you are broke or uncertain about your interest in the
instrument, I have no problem suggesting that you drop by the convention and
just walk around for an afternoon.  In theory the hotel restaurant and
hallways are open to the public.  There are usually impromptu jam sessions
going on in these hallways or players gathered around a noted player who is
demonstrating something.  Even in the hotel restaurant, it is rare to finish
a meal without hearing someone playing a harmonica riff and talking about a
technique.  If you're alone and the restaurant is busy, it's not unusual for
another harp player to ask if they can join you.  One year Tim Moyer
introduced himself and joined me for a very pleasant harmonica chat over
breakfast.  I've had convention headliners who didn't know me from Adam ask
me to join them for a meal.  One guy insisted on gifting me one of his cds
after I picked up his tab.
   I would never suggest anyone walk into a seminar or a performance without
a convention badge or pass, though I've seen it done.  It's not right, it's
stealing.  It cheats the people who have paid for it.  Unless I'm mistaken
though, the convention stores are open to all.  I've seen hotel guests and
employees in these rooms.  You'll never see a concentration of harps, mics,
amps, recordings, and instructional stuff like this.  If you at least come
and buy something; then you're supporting a merchant and indirectly
supporting SPAH.
   I don't think I'm out of line saying any of this.  SPAH needs bodies.
People have different levels of interest or commitment.  If you can, go for
the whole thing.  If not, get a day pass if it's available or come later in
the week.  A lot of people don't show up until Friday.  Bring in pizza and
your own booze if the hotel restaurant prices are killing you.  If you're
broke or just mildly interested; just drop by and soak up some of the
atmosphere.  Maybe buy a harp and drop a few bucks in the hotel restaurant.
You might enjoy yourself so much that you'll head over to the registration
desk and sign up anyway.  Just my two cents.

Mick Zaklan