From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of ynfdwas@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:11 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] how far?

Hello Reed Scrapers,

I'm working on a Newton Fourkey tuning, retuning from

standard diatonic plates.

How far can you go with a reed? Do you get more

distance (pitch change) out of LOWERING a reed than

RAISING? (Lowering a reed surely seems to come faster

than filing away the fat, double-thick tip of a low

reed.)

I started in the middle of the harp (holes 5 and 6)

nearest the final pitches I wanted, recognizing the

tuning "compresses" the range with more whole step

intervals, than the thirds and fourths in Standard

Diatonic.

Draw 1 has to pull up a 4th, and Blow 1 has to pull up

a 5th!   Hole 10 blow has to go down a 6th. Don't know

yet if I can take a reed that far.

Robert Hale, "the Duke Of Wail"

DUKEofWAIL.com

Gilbert, Arizona