Re: [Harp-L] reed rattle or buzz

Seth,

Is it a low-key harp? G or lower? It might be that the one draw reed is
hitting the plate, and low harps have long reeds. Turbolids are designed to
give more clearance for the low long reeds. If you've got a set of
Turbolids, try 'em.

If you don't have the Turbolids, and if this is what's going on, you might
want to check the offset of that reed from the plate and if it seems to be
high -- I mean if the reed is angled noticeably above the reed plate, you
can gently try to bring the clearance down. Press with your thumbnail, but
start really, really gently if you've never done this before to get the feel
of the flex of the metal and just close the gap a bit.

Some info about this here:
http://www.harmonicasessions.com/apr04/h-workbench.html

Otherwise i'd suggest running a shim either side of the reed inside the
slot. Handy little strips of metal can be found in the little anti-theft
stick-on things attached to products in stores.

In this video, David Payne demonstrates running a shim between a reed and
the slot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHqVkcxJ2wg

In any case, good luck, don't panic, and have a great gig.

Cheers,

John