Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Ode Challenge Revisited (was Augmented)

On Mar 20, 2009, at 5:21 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

SmoJoe writes (snipped):

"What I have always done was to take a tune and envision the singer
(or instrumentalist) who did this tune the BEST

sj

This is Great! ...Monsieur The One. ;) (I did hope that sooner or later you'd finally admit you were one of a kind <G>)

Yeah, luckily (for Earth) they broke the mold.

....because it's how I've consistently approached my playing, on harmonica or keyboard. It's always about the song and the vocalist for me...and the version of it I liked the best (although we do differ a bit as to whether it should be the version most popular, since my personal tastes do tend to differ with the taste of the 'majority', more often than not.

Oh, wait a minute. I do all tunes in TWO versions. The most popular version (for the proletariate) and then there's my own version. So, you're not wrong. :)

I have a different approach to instrumentals. Can't explain at all how I get those...but it isn't about positions//keys....more all about feeling/hearing the music and trying to make it come out of the harmonica as I hear the music inside my head.

As a young child in Trieste, the only music we could get was 1..local Italian (too many mandolins), 2..G.I. radio out of Heiderberg (all swing from the 30s & 40s), and if you had a short wave (we had), MY favorite 3..Balkan radio (Praha, Buda-Pesht, Wien, Sofia). Lots of minor stuff. Gypsy stuff. My favorite is still zyther music..... to this day.

Your chromatic (and diatonic) playing is light years (nay, Centuries!) beyond mine

Not true, I fake a lot.

although I keep hoping some of your mentoring will still rub off on me at some point in time, despite your being a tongue-blocker and my absolute inability to play that way.

You can do it (maybe better) with pucker. Toots & Stevie don't seem to be having a problem... :)

I truly am so very grateful that you think there's enough innate talent there for me to be worthy of your time. Hopefully at this next SPAH I might just be brave enough and get a small opportunity to show what I've learned from Mr. Le-One.

Elizabeth