[Harp-L] Reed Replacement tool; support the plate

" I just place the reedplate on an old wood comb with the comb
slots there to protect the
reeds. " - Scooter

"Needlenoses have
a flat side for cutting- lay them on your work surface with this flat side up.
Spread the jaws open just right and they'll work for the job, allowing the
rivet to pass through the gap." - Joe Spiers

I suppose it's not that amazing to find people a world away using precisely the same methods to get the job done: what's in hand's reach that will work?
It always bothers me that I haven't made a special anvil for this job, with a recess not only for the rivet, but for all the rivets and the reeds, too., and, as Winslow recommends, some clamps to stop the plate jumping around.
Well, in the meantime, I'll just keep using one of the above techniques, as I have done for years (and I'm still lousy at it!)
Oh yes; in the absence of said clamps, I find a hand-driven (as opposed to hammer driven) spring loaded centrepunch does the job, as the plate is partially held down by the pressure of the punch before the spring is triggered. Sometimes takes a couple of goes, but then so can a hammer.
These days, when removing the good reed (specially if it's needed quickly) I just punch out the whole rivet with reed attached and press it into the host plate. Don't even pean the rivet over; works most of the time, and I don't have to drill, tap, or fiddle around with screws.
I think I might even have picked up this sloppy method from someone on the list; can't remember. Thanks, Whoever.
I wouldn't like to see our pro- harp techs. adopting this method, however.
RD