Re: [Harp-L] amp for chromatic?

Hi Neil -

For small club use, or big venues where there is also a PA system, I use a small acoustic guitar amp: the Roland AC60, which also comes in slightly larger models as well. The only circumstance where I haven't found it to be adequate is when playing with extremely loud bands where there is no PA to extend its range.

The AC60 (AC stands for Acoustic Chorus), has reverb and chorus, has a guitar channel and a mic channel (with phantom power). It is very small and comes with a carrying case. The sound is superb at reasonable levels -- very clean. It is a very versatile small amp. It is actually stereo (which you'll only notice when using the chorus effect) with 30 watts per channel. If you want something a bit more powerful, there is also the AC90.

The AC60 isn't exactly cheap at ~$500. We own two of them and they have both been very reliable. I used one of them on the main stage at SPAH 2007 (along with a direct out to the main board) and had many compliments on my sound. I use the same amp at my coffee house gig, my gigs outside by the beach, at various jazz jams (all without the help of a PA system) and have always had lots of power to spare.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

Neil Warren wrote:
I'm looking to buy an amp to play chromatic jazz through. I want a clean sound. I certainly don't like playing the chromatic through my tube amp (used for playing blues).
For the chromatic I use the PA when I can, but sometimes it's not available & I figure that it might be better to use my own amp & line-out to a PA.
I'd like a few effects, certainly reverb & perhaps delay. I'm not looking to spend too much.
Is this a case of just buying a decent quality guitar amp, with a nice clean channel?
I was looking at the Roland Cube 60. Or the AG 100 (but this doesn't have reverb or any other effects). Any good? Considered an AER but more than I want to spend. Any more recommendations?
Thanks