Re: [Harp-L] 10000 hours

Inasmuch as the average person who works a 40 hour week @ 52 weeks a year, while they don't actually work 2080 hours, they are paid for 2080 hours. If I extrapolate this correctly, this would mean that if a person were to practice 3.43 hours per day, each and every day, no holidays, no vacations, no sick time, it would take nearly 10 years to reach mastery in any endeavor? Under these criteria, I have to agree with you, as far as music is concerned. But this assumes that the person has reasonable abilities and talents.
In other fields, I'm not so sure.

I (personally) have always felt that if person started working at a 40 hr per week job and this was from the age of 16 till 66, that meant 50 years. In such a case, it would be hard for me to imagine that 10,ooo hours would be enough. That's less than 5 years. The other day I heard an interesting term..'Master Jeweler'. Wow, what constitutes a master jeweler? I would think that jewelers come at all levels of expertise and that the only way to become a master would be if you could cut very expensive stones and still not give the owner (s) a heart attack while doing it.

I also have to laugh at master plumbers. If you can do the job, you're a plumber. If you can't, you're not. Norm Abrams from the 'This Old House' program. Billed as a master carpenter. Hah, I have caught him making mistakes. When he does, they cut the film. Once you make master level, you don't make mistakes. You are being paid at a master level and mistakes are only allowed at Apprentice, Journeyman, and Craftsman levels.

smo-joe (who would rather Ab together than Abalone)