[Harp-L] Learning, Grammar and Theory (working from written score)

Arthur asks:

how do you negotiate all the different keys of harmonicas you play when
working from a written score?

I'm self taught with no formal music training. I don't sight read, but i can make sense of sheet music if given a little time to look at it. I play standard Richter tuned diatonics.

On those rare occasions, when i've had to work from sheet music, i get the charts ahead of time. First thing i do is see what key it's in and if there are any key changes, since a key change usually (but not always) requires a change of harmonicas, Then i go through the notes and convert each note to the corresponding degree of the scale (1, flat 3, 5, flat 7, etc.). i write the degree above each note on the chart.

Once i know the key(s) and degrees of the scale, I can decide what harmonica(s) to select in order to play in the proper position to be able to most easily play the music on the chart. I am proficient in 5 positions and I know which degree of scale corresponds to which hole of the harmonica in which position. So then I play that harmonica and rehearse from the chart looking at the degrees I wrote above each note.

I'm sure this is not what they teach at Julliard or Berklee, but it works for me. Btw, I've never had to use more than 2 harmonicas on any one tune. Sometimes i look at the chords written above the staff to decide which harmonica to use if i am uncertain which position would work best. It's also much easier if i have a recording to know how the tune is supposed to sound.

FWIW.

JP