Re: [Harp-L] Re: Positions etc.

Hi all,

I am in total agreement with Steve's first original post on this  subject.
Mainly because it reaffirms   my approach to playing  harmonica. "Effortless
Mastery" is a book (as mentioned before on this list)  that has helped me with
this approach. Steve's first post I thought was very  valuable, especially for
trained musicians.

That being said knowing some theory and musical mechanics can only help in
the long term. At first it is almost like you do not even want to know. Kinda
inhibiting? Perhaps  because it might challenge what I already  think I know.
I also have a fantastically BAD memory, and it is very hard for me  to retain
details. Most of the theory I use is remembered from playing clarinet  and sax
as a kid. I know enough to know it is valuable  knowledge, and it  especially
helps when playing with other musicians. I also have learned a lot  about
theory on this. Thank you.

When I pick up my harp I  use my  theory knowledge, but  play from the heart
developing my own style. Some nights I come off better than  others (like
anyone I guess). I like to say there are many secrets in our  little ten hole
instrument, and the vibrations of the reeds are revealing  these secrets to me
with time, and of course practice.

Just some thang  personal,

Chris Mastakas

In a message dated 3/15/2009 8:11:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,