[Harp-L] 545 handling noise

Taping the head of a 545 definitely alters the sound for the worse (unless, for some reason, you prefer a thin tone). But you could easily determine this for yourself in ten minutes or less. Try your mic both ways, record the results, then listen back. YMMV, but I doubt it.

Jerry's solution for stabilizing the head seems like a good one. I don't perceive a serious problem with handling noise myself (maybe in a recording situation?), but the 545 is hard to grip. I use a thick rubber band like the kind that comes on a bunch of broccoli. I wrap it twice around the barrel of the mic just *below* the mesh gap between the solid part of the barrel and the head.

I think 545s rule. If Greg ever makes his Ultimate 545 with a silver barrel I'm going to get one.

George