[Harp-L] RE: Element poll

I have to agree with Greg on this one, although I can see both sides of the question. I have had a few hundred (literally) mics come through my house in the past 12 months. While it possible to make almost any decent mic sound better by fooling around with your controls, bridging channels, EQ-ing, etc., when you come across a really hot element it just really *sings* for exactly the reasons Greg specified. Greg knows far more than I do about the technical side of things. I just go by what I hear, and I hear a lot more tonal colors in certain very loud elements that I have tested, be they dynamic or crystal, or what have you. Those harmonics are the key, like Greg said. I keep my loudest, hottest, nastiest Shure CM by my amp, and test everything that comes in against it. It's easy to hear the tonal contrast with the weaker elements, in most cases.

Sure, with weaker elements it is possible to just crank the amp a little higher and approximate, maybe not exactly duplicate, the tone of the hotter elements. Almost. Only our discriminating harmonica player ears would note the difference, probably.

BTW, I have just emerged from my basement where I was testing out a new batch of beauties that I got back from Chuck Gurney yesterday. Holy Cow! There will be some great harp mics coming up for sale soon. Biscuits, bullets, etc. I may even sell my brushed chrome Shure 7A shell with a black CR inside. Extremely hot element, of course, ha ha. I have never engaged in shameless commerce on harp-l before, so I figured I was about due. Good question, Wezo. I'd like to hear more opinions.
-------------------
Ron Sunshine
Deluxe Vintage Mics
Golden Bug Entertainment