Re: [Harp-L] why custom harps

Opinion: I respectfully disagree that MS harps can be bada** -
improved? Heck yeah - but not to the level of bada**.

Here is what I learned making wooden combs for MS harps. The very fact
that I dismantled the MS and reworked or replaced the reed plates,
replaced the comb with my own creation, and made sure the whole thing
was "leak proof" was what made an *improvement* to the MS harp. The
reed plates do not compare to the "shorties" I now prefer which are
based off the Marine Band. I even used the thicker MS plates. I even
doubled up thinner MS plates. I have about a dozen left-over "unique"
wooden combs for MS harps. All the reworking of the MS *did* improve
the tone of the instrument, but it wasn't because of a wooden comb. It
was because of the reed work, the comb sealing and the careful
mounting of the plates to the comb, and the covers. It still played
like an MS harp. Good for BIG, hard playing. Great for folks that like
to beat the heck out of harps. I am presently working out a deal with
an old friend who is going to make me a boat-load of Marine Band combs
from the stock I have left. Hint: I chose a thick, hard but fibrous
wood that is famed for it's water repellent nature. Anyway, my old
"custom" MS harps with the unique wooden combs are still MS harps. I
prefer MB's these days, and the one NOS Meisterklasse (pre-MS) that I
have.

I do agree that a well worked "custom" harp is worth the investment -
whether it be your own time, or your own money. Give yourself the
best. After all, you deserve the best if you are passionate about
harmonicas. I recommend to any novice player that they take that
journey into customizing harmonicas on their own. I am still enjoying
my journey into that madness.

I thought you liked the Golden Melodies. Have I missed a transition
from you, Chris? Are you now playing those beautiful MS harps as
appearing in the links below? And what's up with that web site? Is it
a work-in-progress?

I have to start keeping up... been a while.