[Harp-L] Re:Re: why I love busking

The louder the noise, the less people listen.
RD

>>> Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/03/2009 11:49 >>>
Icebrain wrote:

<Wasn't the King of the Buskers, Rory McLeod, part of this unit back
then?

If you wanna see the state of the art Busker style musician, catch
Rory do  a
solo show - great harmonica, singer and trombone player.

Steve, remember when the power went off at the Trossingen Concert Hall
during your set and Rory entertained and kept things going 'till the
power came  on?>

All the above are true Larry, your memory does not fail you. Rory was
a member of Have Mercy in the mid 70s and we all learned street music
together on the Portobello Road in London. He went on to do his very
individual thing and is doing it to this day, though he left the
reunited Have Mercy very shortly after the show you mention.

Keeping the show going when the power goes off is one of the things
we picked up from busking and I've performed in some challenging
situations like that, as well as using it as a great ending to a
rocking show by leaving through the audience, playing as you go, or
just playing a solo off the mike.  One of the things I've learned
from busking is, you don't necessarily have to play loudly in order
to project your sound. I guess that's what classical singers also
learn to do. Chris Jones and I once played Bonnie Raitt's beautiful
ballad "Can't Make You Love Me" completely acoustic in front of 400
people after a fuse blew. You could have heard a pin drop and at the
end they went nuts,

Steve