To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:52 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: tuning reeds

Vern is correct about Dremels but there is a way to tame the beast. I use a multi speed Dremel and even on the lowest setting it is too strong.
I've been using 'hand pieces" at work for over 30 years and the key to using them correctly is learning how to control the speed for the task at hand.

Since I don't have a grand to blow on the type I use at my day job I improvised. Anyone that already owns a Dremel can do this as well. I purchased one of
those outlets for use with Christmas trees that allow you to turn the lights on and off without crawling under the tree to get to the wall outlet.
They have a big red button on them that you control with your foot. I attached my Dremel to that and can press it down enough with my foot without clicking it on.
This way I can create a pulse to get the dremel working but not enough to bring it up to full speed. I pump the foot switch while working the reed never allowing it to
go to full speed. What you are doing is working on the reed when the spindle is decelerating rather then revving up.

Good tool stores carry on/off foot pedals. Try to get one that allows you to turn it on momentary rather then having to click it on every time. That way it will be easier to pump the switch. The only time I actually leave it on is when I'm retuning the reed to another note.

Coast to Coast use to sell Brownies. If they don't carry them contact me offlist. One Brownie should last you for years if you only use it on reeds.

I use them in combination with files and sanding wands.