[Harp-L] RE: Harmonica Abuse

Am I the only one who can see the possibility of this thread developing into to a whole new harp subculture, replete with postings regarding the pros and cons of soaking versus dipping, and accompanied by numerous heartfelt recommendations regarding various proprietary and non-proprietary liquids?

No doubt at least some of the more affluent list members will heartily endorse vintage champagnes, rare wines or kangaroo milk, while the common folks among us may have to make do with beer, soda pop, strong coffee or just plain rainwater. And of course a few radical 'really out there' harpists may swear by such things as toilet bowl cleaner, Listerine, car undercoating or used motor oil.

Then there is the question of semi-solids. What are the benefits of smearing your harps with a thick/thin coating of peanut butter (crunchy or non-crunchy?) or jam (raspberry versus strawberry? Diabetic versus regular?). Should this be done pre- or post-gig? What about bananas?

I'm actually having enough trouble just learning to play the darn thing without having to worry about what to coat, soak or dip it in. However, I'm proud to say that I no longer consider myself an absolute rookie as my vast repetoire (in addition to 'Oh Susannah' and 'Red River Valley') has now expanded to include such classics as 'Ode to Joy' and 'The Wild Colonial Boy'. AND I'm <modest simper> getting quite good at Planxty Irwin, (my deepest gratitude to Tony Eyers at Harmonica Academy.com, EXCELLENT course for a beginner, Tony! ). So anyway, move over Jason Ricci and Christelle Berthon -- there's a new (un-soaked, un-dipped, un-coated) harpstrangler on the block....

Oh, and by the way Bill Kumpe -- you're going straight to Hell when you turn up your toes for the final time.....

            From:
            "Bill Kumpe" <bkumpe@xxxxxxx>

        	To:
        	harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
                Dr. Fertig:

Alas, I must confess.  Even though I am a teetotaler and a (non-practicing)
ordained elder of my faith, I regularly baptize my plastic combed harps in a
tall glass of straight gin and hold them there until the gunk comes floating
out.  I have been told that this is bad for them but I get secret pleasure
from it, from knowing that the little guys have been sterilized inside and
out by the alcohol in the gin.  And, I must admit in my deepest, darkest
recesses of conscience that I also take guilty pleasure in the sharp, clean
taste of the gin on my newly sterilized harps.  I have been told by good
authority not to do this but I continue.  Am I an habitual harp abuser who
gets his jollies water-boarding poor little Suzukis and S20's in the devil's
spirits?  Help me!  What am I supposed to do Doctor Fertig?

Bill Kumpe

Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9666046