Re: [Harp-L] Anyone else give bass harp a real try? My bass story.

Hi Michael -

I am one of those bass harmonica owners who haven't yet tried to actually learn to play it -- but it seems obvious to me that some very different skills come into play compared to any of the smaller harmonicas. I happen to be sick in bed with a cold the last couple of days and have been reading the Malcolm Gladwell book "Outliers" -- very interesting read. Basically, based on several studies, don't expect to have mastered _anything_ until you've put in 10,000 hours of practice. I bet Danny hit that number long ago ;-).

Have patience and keep at it!

- Slim.

michael rubin wrote:

My analysis is this:

The bass harp is a ridiculously difficult instrument!

In my opinion, there's really only three things to learn:
1. How to get nice tone
2.the role of a bass player in music
3.the layout/muscle memory to be able to jump from note to note.

Number 3 is a killer!  I was working on something yesterday that I
think I should easily have under my belt by now but I did not.  Not
even close.