From: Ryan Hartt <rhartt1234@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:25:47 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] teaching scam

Yes it is. These have been going on for quite some time.
The details regarding the money exchanges are not my forte but...
Usually it's some foreign business man that wants to keep his son occupied while he is visiting the USA for a week on business. They offer to pay in advance, unusually handsomely and littered with flattery regarding your skill and fame, and send a check or other type of payment WAY above what the agreed price is. You inform them that they overpaid, he blames his silly wife for the error and asks that you just send him a check for the difference. He gets real money and a few days later your bank informs you that his check was bogus and your left holding the bag.
Ryan
winner of the Irish lottery and friend to former assistant finance ministers throughout West Africa