Re: [Harp-L] endorsements

Rick,

I've heard nothing but horror stories for years about musical instruments and airlines. Our local B3 tech told me a story of an airline dropping Greg Allman's B3 out of the airplane on to the ground at SeaTac, years ago. I believe it was Roy Clark that watched one of his favorite vintage Gibson guitars stolen off a baggage cart while he was seated on the plane, and it just goes on and on. I would guess very few artists ship their favorite instruments in baggage, and I know some don't even take their favorite mics on planes or out of the country. James Harman said in an interview that he takes a couple of new Shaker mics with him when he travels to Europe and sells them before he comes home. Anytime I've seen him here, he's playing a JT30.

I don't find the fact that Charlie played through a Red Knob Evil Twin furnished by the promoter at all difficult to comprehend. And maybe the mic he used was a mic that he could predict as a good choice for that amp. I don't even take my favorite mics, guitars, or vintage amps out much, I take whatever will do the job well. If someone offers to let me use an amp that's already there, and it will work for me, I'll use it.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but isn't there a difference between a SPONSER and an endorsement? Might that be the difference? I have never expected to see Eric Clapton only play Fender Strats, just because he has an endorsement deal. And he does play other guitars frequently. James