Re: [Harp-L] re: Reed "profile"

With all due respect to the knowledgeable Mr. Payne, I don't think he has
responded to the ambiguity that Bob identified.

1. the height characteristics of the reed viewed side-on from reed pad to
tip (unifrom thickness, tapered, or varied thickness)

2. the 'shape' of the reed viewed side on, curved (arced) or flat

Think of a metal ruler. Let's say it's 1mm thick throughout and flat when
bought. That would be its profile description: 1mm throughout, flat.

Bend it and you have a new profile description: 1mm throughout, appropriate
curve formula.

So we might say there are two parameters to the term 'reed profile' : 1.
thickness and 2. shape, or curvature.

Alternately, the term refers to the milled thickness properties and it is
misused when referring to the curvature of the reed, which might just be
called reed curvature and not reed profile.

John

> Crazy Bob wrote:
>
> "While in the stacks (so to speak), I noticed a peculiarity regarding the
term "reed profile." It appears that there
> are two quite different usages of this term. Perhaps I misunderstood, so
if there is a different set of terms, please
> enlighten me."
>

> It is my understand that the term "profile" concerns all dimensions of the
reed, thus they are the same useage.