[Harp-L] Buckeye Harmonica Festival

The 33rd Buckeye Festival was pretty much like previous conventions except
it is likely to be the last due the recent death of festival czar Jack Ely.

But Marv Monroe stepped in and did a stelar job of filling Jack's shoes.

         A couple of acts listed on the March preview bill did not appear,
and I missed the jams. So if I leave your name out, it's not because I don't
like you; I just didn't see you.
             The Thursday evening show featured the Harmonica Junction (Al &
 Judy Smith, Rudy & Doris Michelin, gene Hansen); The Windy City Harmonica
Trio (Bud Boblink, Ron Asgnew, Bill Morris) and Jimi Lee and friends.
          The Friday 7 p.m. show featured Harmononucleosis (Mark & Marv
Monroe, John Lieurance) The Hoosier Harmonicas (Bob Herndon, Jim Lohman, Bud
Boblink) the Harmonica Hotshots (Al & Judy Smith).
     The Friday evening blues show started at 9 p.m. and featured the Teeny
Tucker Band with Bob Hughes & Dave Gastel.

          The Saturday night sit down dinner featured Sandy German with
CarolBeth True, keyboard; Sid Omasta, bass; Jim Taylor, drums
          The Sgro Brothers with George Miklas, bass guitar and bass
harmonica & Jim Taylor, drums
          P.T. Gazell with CarolBeth True, keyboard; Sid Omasta, bass; Jim
Taylor, drums
          Chris Bauer & PT played together providing an evocative
performance that demonstrated how well the half-valved diatonic works with the
chrome.

      The Harp Depot crew turned out with its variety of merchandise as did
the Suzuki firm and Rupert   Oysler of Seydel who also performed.

 Al Smith brought along copies of his book "Confessions of a Harmonica
Addicts: A History of American Harmonica Ensembles," looking back on the golden
years of harmonica and his experiences as well as anecdotes about some of
the greats. I got my copy and have finished a few chapters...

Seminars ranged from Al & Judy Smith talking about technique, to the
Smitchs Bud Boblink and T. McCraig covering chord and bass and Jimi Lee talking
about diatonic tuning.

P.T. Gazell talked about his technique of half-valving (placing valves or
windsavers on 10 of 20 reeds); Valves go on the draw   plate for 1-6 reeds,
on blow   plate for 7-10 reeds. This allows J.T. to play jazz tunes without
skipping (leaving out) any notes by simply blow bending holes 1-6 or draw
bending holes 7-10 -- in addition to the existing bent notes available on a
richtern-tuned harp.

(FYI: Suzuki sells Promaster MR 350 out of the box; Seydel takes factory
orders on its web site (see harp configurator) for half-valved harps.)

Danny G offered printouts of a Band-in-a Box slide show along with a CD
with a passel of backup tracks in the BB format. Hal Iwan played a track of Big
Walter playing "Easy" (based on the Ivory Joe Hunter "I Almost Lost My
Mind"). Hal went over the notation/harp tab (provided by David Barrett) phase by
phrase, leading the class through each section.

Dr. John P. Schaman presented a talk called "Harmonica Playing Improves
Pulmonary Health: Fact or Fiction?"
     Saturday afternoon, the group gathered to honor the late harmonica
collector/Buckeye founder Richard I. Smith and Buckeye festival chairman Jack
Ely. Several people recalled fond anecdotes about Richard and Jack.
    Dave Gastel, who plays keyboads and harp in theTeeny Tucker Band talked
about the give-and-take in working out arrangements in a blues band. For
his part on harp: he doesn't use a harp key higher than D, with seveal
low-tuned harps in his kit.

Phil Lloyd

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322979x1201367215/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&
bcd=JuneExcfooterNO62)