From: "David Payne" <dmatthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp L Harp L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Dating harmonica woods

> I know Joe, that's why I said "about the most" I don't know about these
fancy woods of the wide world, but American Chestnut is more resistant than
locust, but, as far as decay goes, it's like saying Roger Maris hit more
home runs than Babe Ruth in a season- they're still both dang good. Locust
was my favorite wood for making longbows back in the day. I have noticed a
lot of similarities between chestnut, now that I'm working with it, and
locust. I wouldn't be surprised if they were related somehow. The main
difference I've noticed thus far is that a thin piece or projection of
chestnut is far more stable than such with chestnut -- I've been thinking
about this because I'm looking at making some chromatic from them.
> Ultimately, the wood I am most interested in is hophornbeam for
chromatics. When I was a kid, I drove nails with hophornbeam just to prove
it could be done.