Re: [Harp-L] Dating harmonica woods

Just a random and probably completly inapropriate thought but if one were to have a date with someone called Harmonica Woods where would you suggest taking her?

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Payne" <dmatthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp L Harp L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Dating harmonica woods

I know Joe, that's why I said "about the most" I don't know about these fancy woods of the wide world, but American Chestnut is more resistant than locust, but, as far as decay goes, it's like saying Roger Maris hit more home runs than Babe Ruth in a season- they're still both dang good. Locust was my favorite wood for making longbows back in the day. I have noticed a lot of similarities between chestnut, now that I'm working with it, and locust. I wouldn't be surprised if they were related somehow. The main difference I've noticed thus far is that a thin piece or projection of chestnut is far more stable than such with chestnut -- I've been thinking about this because I'm looking at making some chromatic from them.
Ultimately, the wood I am most interested in is hophornbeam for chromatics. When I was a kid, I drove nails with hophornbeam just to prove it could be done.