Re: [Harp-L] was american chestnut, now steel

Last time this topic was being hashed over on harpL, a young lady friend of mine, a non-musician was at my house. I asked her to go sit in the other room. I played four different model 280's, three with plastic combs, one with a wood comb. Each time I played the one with the wood comb she said "that one sounds the best, it sounds little sweeter and has more character". I switched back and forth, tried to trick her but she was able to pick out the wood combed chromatic each time. The wood combed one is older, been played very little, and in great condition, but the other three are in tune and play great also. She also did think the other three all sounded the same.

So I don't know, was I inspired to play better knowing I was holding a wood combed harmonica? I doubt it, I'm cosistently mediocre. Maybe someone more knowledgable will tell me these older ones were better built or had better reeds, that could be. Before reading these discussions on harpL I had always believed I could hear a difference, now I'm uncertain. I find it difficult to believe that there wouldn't be an audible difference, when every little piece of a guitar makes a difference in how it sounds, even if it is a small one. I do believe that when I'm playing wood comb marine bands I hear a difference between them and a special 20, most likely coverplates and comb material, I would think. I like them all, but I guess I prefer wood because that's mostly what I've played for 43 years. James