RE: [Harp-L] Chuck Gurney/Rod Piazza

> From: mx714@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To: HARP-L@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 13:33:07 -0400
> CC:
> Subject: [Harp-L] Chuck Gurney/Rod Piazza
>
> I just received my copy of Rod Piazza's latest cd titled "Soul Monster", a mix of blues and soul,including
> some new originals,Sunbird by George Smith,Key To The Highway,You Better Watch Yourself and
> Can't Stand To See You Go by Jimmy Reed.
> On the insdie sleeve,Rod thanks some people,the first one being Chuck Gurney.
> I did not know that Chuck supplied his microphones-I was pleased to see Chuck getting well deserved
> recognition from one of the top pro's playing today.
> Great job Chuck as always-Rod says this is some of his strongest playing to date-through one of Chucks
> mic's!!!!

I've supplied Rod with quite a few very hot crystal elements throughout the years...

his usual preference for his gigging mic. Usually very hot Shure elements (99-131's or 99A47's).

I turned him onto a few CR's that I thought were very good...but he always returned them

and said that they seem to not project for his chromatic work when he octave jumps to the

higher end. I'd be very curious to know if Chuck hooked him up with a crystal or a CR.

If anyone could convert a pure crystal guy to a CR sound...it would be Chuck! ;))

What about it Chuck? What was in that mic that Rod digs so much?

Did u supply him with just an element...or get him a whole mic setup?

I've been doing mic work for over 20 years...but currently not doing it anymore

for many reasons. So now, when I do get inquires about my mics or a potential

customer...I always recommend Chuck Gurney. He is THE MAN!

http://www.fatbottom-mics.com/

~Donnie MorTone~

http://www.myspace.com/donniemortone

The Ultimate William Clarke Tribute Site:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/williamclarke/index.html

MorTone Microphone:

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/mortone/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/BluesGeek