[Harp-L] Rob Paparozzi "Etruscan Soul"

    For those of us who have had the good fortune to hang out with and hear
Rob at SPAH over the years, the prospect of a CD from Mr. Paparozzi seemed
like a great idea. Guess what...he did not disappoint!

    Rob was gracious enough to send me a copy of his new CD ³Etruscan Soul²
Those of you who know Rob know that he is a triple threat: diatonic,
chromatic and great vocals. This CD features all three. Rob covers a lot of
ground here including R&B, Soul, Pop, and some Standards. Rob¹s chromatic
work is really nice....great tone, wonderful phrasing, and a quite restraint
that offsets the playing of the other musicians. His vocals are indeed the
kind that just flat out make you want to sing along with. Rob¹s diatonic
playing, at least for me, is a bonus since I almost never get to hear him do
it. An interesting technical note, is that he used his Fireball V to record
with. Something I toyed with on my last CD but never did. After hearing the
tone, especially on the chromatic, I will be giving the Fireball V a serious
look next time around in the studio.

    This is not a harmonica CD, but has a lot of the instrument built into
the arrangements. This CD is highly recommended if you like great
musicianship from all involved (and believe me, these are some heavy
hitters) as well as a very good recording and mix.

Standouts for me include:

Peg O¹ My Heart & Peg (very clever)
Monkey Around W/ Phoebe Snow
Body And Soul