[Harp-L] The Loss of Don Sanders.....

Last week the Dallas chapter of HOOT lost one of its senior members, when Don Sanders passed away.  Don was not a name known much outside Dallas, but his stellar chromatic playing was not only a highlight of his group, The Harmonichords, but he was also one of our club's direct links to the great harmonica bands of the '30s and '40s, which he and his group kept alive.  This link was a critical part of what made HOOT a success--it's ability to connect so many harmonica traditions, and, in turn, connect its members.

Although Don never played blues or any of the more recent pop styles, he was a guy who had big ears, and the appreciation he showed for other types of harmonica playing was always evident.  In fact, one of my fondest memories came from an early HOOT meet, when Don and Sammy Myers hung around to closing time, Don showing Sam stuff on the chromatic, two great musicians swapping stories of life and music, laughing and playing.

Beyond that, Don was a great teacher.  He even accepted me as a chromatic student, and although our lessons lasted barely a year, what he taught me has stuck with me since then.  I can't pick the instrument up without playing his lessons on scales.

Don was "one of a kind," a great guy, wonderful family man, and friend.  He was an example of how a love of music, and our instrument, could be part of an entire life.  For HOOT he was one of it's most important influences, and he will always be missed.   TOM ELLIS