To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 8:41 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] What Key is it?

Regarding how to figure out what key a song is in, here is something that I
found on a website a while back. I copied and pasted the text into a word
doc for future use. I don't remember which site I got it off of and I do
not know if the information is accurate or not, but it seems to fit your
inquiry.

Tom Halchak

Clearwater, FL

Identifying the Harp Key of a Song.

* Pick up the A harp.

* Play the two hole draw. You are always looking for a good match to
the song which should usually be the tonic. Play da, da, da, da and see if
it matches the song. Make sure that it is a good match right through the 1
and 4 changes.
If you get a match, the song is cross-harp to A or the Key of E.
* Are you way off and it sounds bad? Try playing the 2 hole bent da,
da, da, da.
If you have a good match, then it is probably key of D. (12th position for
those who care).
* Still way off? Move down to the one hole draw and do your da, da,
da, da thing.
If you match well then you are in third position and the key is B.
* Not Yet? Try the one hole blow.
If you have a good match it's probably key of A.

* You've checked keys A,B,D and E. You've eliminated 33% of the keys
with one harp, and most of the good blues keys. If you still haven't got the
key you need to try another harp, but one that doesn't overlap with the keys
that we've already checked. This is not easy. All the harps in my kit cause
overlap. I compromise by picking the C harp because it contains a number of
other good blues keys.

* The 2 hole draw checks cross harp key of G
* The 2 hole bent checks one key down position key of F.
* The 1 hole draw checks third position key of D (Already checked, but
check it again.)
* The 1 hole blow checks straight harp and the key of C.

* You've checked A, B, C, D, E, F and G. This is all of the white keys
on the keyboard. This is 58% of the possibilities. If you don't have it now,
you might not be able to find it.
* Let's select a harp that gives us some black keys. Since my bag only
has two harps with flats, I'll get out the E-Flat harp.

* The 2 hole draw checks cross harp key of B-Flat
* The 2 hole bent checks 12th position key of A-Flat
* The 1 hole draw checks third position key of C (Already checked, but
check it again.)
* The 1 hole blow checks straight harp and the key of E-flat.

* You've checked A-Flat, A, B-Flat, B, C, D, E-flat, E, F and G. You
have checked ten keys, some of them twice. This is 83% of the possibilities.
If it's not one of these, it must by elimination be D-flat or G-flat. You
don't have these harps anyway so give up and have another beer.