  From: venkyr@xxxxxxx
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 6:23 AM
  Subject: [Harp-L] What key is it?

    Geoff Atkins wrote-
    Back to the point, guessing the key works for me if
    I can think "Sounds like
    that other piece I play that's in 'E, etc.' ". But I
    am not really able to
    hear a note or phrase in isolation and say what key
    it is.

    Ear training works well most of time. We are lucky
    to have horn players who tell you that the song is
    in a certain key and you are only one or half step
    away....well, that depends. Last night the guitarist
    called for a song in Am and I was looking for two
    different harps in my case.
    One guy, let's call him "Gus" jumps from the crowd
    and says "you should get a "D" harp because the song
    is in "A". I said "thank you", and continued looking
    for my harps.

    I used a "C" harp to play in 4th position and "G"
    harp to play in the 3rd position. These harps sound
    much better for a song in Am.

    I get thrown off on occasion when someone plays like
    Duke Robillard- seven different key changes in one
    song and the only hint- here's a tribute to Freddie
    King, BB King or Buddy Guy.

    Cheers!

  www.myspace.com/harpdad