Re: Subject: [Harp-L] RE: Little Guys Going Belly Up?!

Elizabeth,

"I'VE never had trouble with the items (primarily harmonicas) I've bought from Doc at Harp Depot""

The trouble isn't with the items, it's with their customer service and taking orders and holding people's money forever without delivering the goods.

It sounds like your purchases were all done "in person" at the Harp Depot booth at the various conferences. Their trouble seems to stem around other types of orders, web, phone, etc.

It's hard to screw up an "in person" order, you pick up a product, walk to the register, and buy it. Although in Smo-Joe's case it sounds like they did that too, and I have my own experience buying stuff at Buckeye a few years ago (my first and definitely last time buying anything from them) which was similar to Smo-Joe's. They took my credit card, fumbled and bumbled around with it forever, finally wrote the credit card number, expiration date, etc on a clipboard with a long list of others and I was on my way after about a half hour of this. I was upset a while later when I walked by and saw the clipboard laying there unattended with a long list of credit card numbers, out in a hotel lobby. I've had identity theft in my family, and it's the gift that keeps on giving for years and years, a nightmare.

Whatever their (limited) hours of operation, not returning emails and phone calls for weeks and months is very hard to defend!

In any case since you seem to know Doc, you might be getting "priority service". Sounds like you are the only one, the complaints against them dwarf the positive comments each and every time this comes up.

Bill