[Harp-L] Re: Bogen vs Masco

I've had experience with every Bogen and Masco, STOCK, so will briefly
comment on this. The Masco series left stock is limited in volume, they have
superb tone, but like most amps from the 50's or early 60's, can only go So
far.
The Bogen line, rule out most of their 50's amps, is more suitable for
harp. The CHB 50, with master volume, multiple options, runs 2 x 6L6's with a
juicy paper wound output transformer, all the ones I had were circa 1962.
Serviced correctly to Stock, this amp is one killer harp amp and will drive 4
x  10's with tone and power once you get the balance of the MV and regular
volume.  My friend Skip Simmons and I are completely on the same page
concerning these  units. Does the CHB50 mean 50 watts output, bench output,
possible with the  right tubes and upgraded resistors, however you will not need
or get that much,  as you may need to tube it down so you have the natural
sound of the amp, while  keeping incredible volume. These sound best at
whatever level you can get them  to without modifying them. I have owned close to
20 of them during my process,  so know them pretty well. The CHB 35 uses the
very expensive 7868 power tubes,  however according to Skip, that OT can be
used with 6L6's, although it did  not sound the same as the CHB50, so I
would stay with what works.
A long time friend from Belgium, Guy Van Eesbeeck, loved the CHB50 I sent
him, and would suggest this amp over Any Masco that was made, from the MA to
the  ME series.
    I have tried other's modifications of the Masco,  and it just not for
me. My philosophy for building amps is to keep the purity of  both the bottom
end and the crispness of mids and highs, just make it super  reactive and
able to give up Whatever sound the player wants at that time, all  at their
fingertips, the Real way Little Walter played; "  encapsulating the air in
his hands and just floating", from the LW book. Any  player must bring a few
cards to the table, however the amps like this will give  the player some
help in getting breakup no matter what their level, at least  they are not
fooling the player into not really hearing themselves. To me, a  full overdriven
amp will only hinder the player's ability to grow and hear what  they
really sound like, just like any amps that are tricked into being loud, the
player is not really putting the proper technique of being relaxed so you have
maximum air flow without busting a gut. We live in a society where most
everything is available at our fingertips, now even tone without the work
behind  it is there. Agree or disagree with my philosophy, the Cruncher's super
re  activeness and sensitivity to every breath, naturally, is what pushed me
to  delve back into the 410 and create the Super Sonny.
My current videos are not publishable, they were made at a very bad  time
in my life where I had not been able to play harp for the 2 years I spent
having countless surgeries, staff infections, so we are working on current
new videos, no pain meds. This has nothing to do with just putting up videos
and  not caring what they sound like. There is a line between putting up
something  that is truly awful and not being happy with anything you do.
Personally speaking only. I can, and will do better, and will post them. If
anyone would like to email me offlist to have a real conversation about PA heads
or videos,  I will try to get to them as I am fielding close to 100 emails
a day and running the business.
    One other note. God willing I will get to finally  meet and probably
blow a bit with the masterful Madcat, as he will be in my  state on Aug 4th,
playing a free concert with his trio, so we plan to hook up.  It will be an
honor. I guess it will always be love me or hate me; I speak  honestly, maybe
too straight forward for the faint of heart, however I do have  the
experience on the subjects to be able to hold a knowledgeable conversation  on what
topics I am passionate about. My intention is not to offend anyone, we  had
a saying in Daytop, "If it don't apply, let if fly."  This Is short for
me.
**************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
School
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223106546x1201717234/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D8)