Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: New Era of SPAH conventions

Clarification:
I DO know why SPAH never met on the East Coast, just not the specific fine
points. Reread my original post for details.

1. SPAH started and continued in the Detroit area because that's where the
membership was
2. A SPAH convention needs a strong local club for the advance work and
execution of a convention
3.   I also mentioned many out-of-Detroit sites used by SPAH (Dallas, St.
Louis, Columbus, Milwaukee, Denver, Memphis et al ...)
4. The real reason SPAH has never met on the East Coast is   No. 2.   [Item
No. 1 explains the origin of the Detroit site(s).]

If SPAH can meet all over the country -- and I would count from Dallas,
Memphis, St. Louis, Denver, Milwaukee as "all over the country" -- why not the
East Coast? There is no vast conspiracy -- just the lack of a strong local
club to host a SPAH convention.

Obviously, there has never been a "strong local club" that successfully
promoted an East Coast convention.

My statement: "I have no idea why SPAH never met on the East Coast." really
means
Why is there no Strong East Coast Local Club?   The "Strong Local Club" is
the key item.

I should have said: I have no idea why there was never a strong local club
to promote an East Coast convention.,   considering other cities have clubs
that can host a SPAH convention.

Now if the convention can travel all over the country in the last several
years, the real question is not why is SPAH avoiding the East Coast but how
come there is no Strong Local Club on the East Coast?

As various SPAH officials (and others) have pointed out: It takes much
advance work to execute the logistics of a SPAH convention these days and the
SPAH board is not able to micromanage a convention long distance. That's why
it relies on a strong local club to host a convention.

I myself am personally amazed at the clubs that are able to host SPAH
conventions and do a remarkable job. And several of them are relatively new
clubs.

So I repeat: I have no idea why the East Coast harmonica players can't get
together to form a strong local club that is capable of hosting and
promoting a SPAH convention. What's the excuse?

Or as I originally said: "I have no idea why SPAH never met on the East
Coast."

And I would be delighted to attend an East Coast SPAH -- I am just not
going to move there to   form a club and recruit members to host a SPAH
convention there.

Hope this clears up the issue.

Phil

In a message dated 7/26/09 5:39:37 PM, leone@xxxxxxxx writes:

> On Jul 25, 2009, at 6:19 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Phil writes:
> >
> > "I have no idea why SPAH never met on the East Coast."

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823322x1201398723/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&
bcd=JulyExcfooterNO62)