Re: [Harp-L] Re: New Era of SPAH conventions

What needs to happen is for SPAH to make a frontal assault on the hosting town. I know that Warren hits the T.V. and radio. Then there's the chamber of commerce and the local/county/state tourism boards.

The idea is to use recognized media tricks. Example: "There are over 800 people interested in this convention". Ok, you're not really lying here, because even if only 400 people actually DO show up, 800 were STILL probably interested. Being interested in something is rather benign. I mean, anyone even READING about the convention could be 'interested' even if they are only interested in the reading part.

Sponsors. Ok, Would it kill a sponsor to make a lousy phone call. Example: A major manufacturer has a booth at the Namm in Anaheim? Stevie Wonder shows up and tries 2 chromos. He can't decide which he likes better, so the manufacturer gives him BOTH. Now here's a guy who needs free chromos about as much as I need free Hemorhoids. So, bottom line is: Would it break that manufacturer's heart to make a phone call to the Sacramento chamber of commerce and say "Hey, we're putting on a convention at the OpenArms or Do-drop-inn motel for the week of"

As a sponsor, they wouldn't be lying, and while it wouldn't be SOLELY their convention, they are, after all, a sponsor. At this dixieland jazz fest, Hohner had a small contest inserted into the schedule. 35 people showed up, only 15 played and there were 5 finalists who put on a 45+- min show in the bar (free). Hohner provided prize CX-12s. They had a large banner over the stage during the show. It generated a lot of interest and because I was the only one who was staying there and not commuting, I was the one answering all the questions.

You could also say: "The national harmonica organization (spah) has selected (insert town) over a number of other towns to hold their convention this year". Sorta making them seem special. Now, let's be serious here. I fully realize that SPAH is nothing like the Olympics and no one is going to be tripping over themselves to rush out and buy SPAH stock, but every little bit helps.

I have had at least 2 or 3 occasions where I was leaving a town, and either at security or for a group of little children, I blew a few bars of Sesame Street. It drew attention from people who asked who I was and was I in town for a show. When I told them that SPAH had just wrapped up their convention, there were a lot of ooohs and aaahs. Makes one wonder.

smo-joe