[Harp-L] Seydel Problem

Hi Bryan,
Sorry to hear of your problem. I have a similar one - in my case blow 9 on a
12 hole Solist Pro has gone bad in the first hour of playing. This is G4 and
coincidentally I have also had G4 go on another Seydel Blues Harp.
However in the case of the older harmonica it had been played regularly for
a few years and the failure was obviously a case of "fair wear and tear"
I guess I shall have to take up the issue of my new 12 holer with the
factory as it was scarcely out of the box when it let go.
When reeds suddenly go flat the bad news is that a crack has developed near
the root (most highly stressed part)of the reed.
As David Payne has remarked "a fact of harmonica life". It is a total waste
of time to try and tune up a cracked reed.
However a trick we were shown at this years Willie Clancy School is that you
can confirm (and TEMPORARILY fix)the cracked reed by carefully applying a
tiny dollop of gel type super glue to the root of the delinquent reed.
I can't wait to try this on my older Seydel Harp. If it works I may be
tempted to do the job properly by jumping in at the deep end of reed
replacement.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana