Re: [Harp-L] Re: New Era of SPAH conventions

I saw a couple replies so I'll start from here.

I understand the metro NYC/NJ area would be expensive like Elizabeth mentioned. It would also be a traffic nightmare for some.

It would probably take an extended family of volunteers outside the main harp clubs to host such an event so every one could have some down time to mingle and jam. Events go quick when you have to work them and over before you can enjoy the festivities.

I was involved with our local jazz festival for about 15 years and understand all the planning that goes into hosting a major event that brings in fans and musicians from all over. It takes at least 1 to 1-1/2 years to plan it out and make sure the Hotel you pick is affordable and easy to get to from major roads and airports. Get freebee or discount rooms for the musicians. Organize flight plan for musicians and shuttle service. Talk to bars in close proximity about hosting special musical entertainment for a night or two. Make sure everyone is treated royally and so on.

Still there are hordes of players and Pros on the East Coast that could pull it off if some harmonica org. would stick their neck out and get some serious commitments from us if needed even if we aren't club members. Maybe time to join.

I like the Minn. area. I was out there for the Summit in 1999. I borrowed money for the trip. I would love to see my buddy Dick Gardner again as well as my customers.
Times are different now. Bigger mortgage, less take home pay, company controlled vacations. Reduced the cable service in Jan. to basic cable. (can't p.o. the mrs. completely).

Every region of the US has something to offer with it's rich musical heritage. CA. has cool jazz and West Coast Swing, St. Louis, Detroit and Memphis with their
take on jazz, blues and R&B. Texas with its trademark sound. The Mid- Atlantic region has it's sound too. Too bad we aren't throwing a party to celebrate.<sigh>

mike