Re: [Harp-L] Sugar popping Popper and Jason

Jason has always talked about Pat Ramsey being an influence, I never heard him mention Sugar Blue. Pat is one of the guys who was under-rated and flew under the radar I think as far as that style of playing. But if you listen to a lot of his work, including "Live at Big Bend" (title from memory) you can hear a lot of the same types of amazing, fast and fluid types of runs that Jason built his style on to some degree.

I think Jason took it to another level, for sure. I love listening to Ramsey and I'm working on learning some of his stuff, it's a good intermediate bridge to the types of things Jason and Popper are doing, although I agree Popper was influenced by Sugar Blue.

PS If anyone's at Pocono this weekend look for me and say hello. I'll have a Blues Society of Central PA shirt on (Lochiel Hotel Bar on the back) one day and a tie-die Lee Oskar Harmonica shirt on the other day. I know this because I just got done packing :^) James Cotton, can't wait. Don't have a ticket for the Friday night gig with Paul Oscher tonight, unfortunately :-( I'll also miss Harp House from NJ, they always had a great stand there with specials and the harp nerds always met and hung out. Been trying to get John Watts of Coast2Coast to take that spot!

Bill Hines

Winslow Yerxa wrote:
I think the Sugar Blue connection may be stronger with Popper than with Ricci - and Popper obliquely acknowledges the connection; I don't recall Jason having done so.