Fwd: [Harp-L] jonathan edwards

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Wild Iris <wildirisinfo@...> wrote:

I really like jonathan edwards harp style and playing.

I had some questions in case anyone is familiar with playing it.

His 1971 has 4 tunes with some great harp.
Athens County
Shanty
Don't Cry Blue
Train of Glory

Anyone know the keys of these tunes?

Is there tab available anywhere for any of them?

What would his style be called? Country blues?

Are there any other harp players who play in a similar style or that he appears to be influenced by?
*********
Hmmm, no response on J Edwards, yet.  Well, we play Shanty in my band -- interestingly, the band leader brought it about a year go, not me.  We do it in G -- can't say what's on the record.(It's lyrically a bit like a reeferized Rollin In My Sweet Baby's Arms -- "lay around the shack/shanty." I remember enjoying his harp playing when I was in college in the early 70's; I'm sure his playing influenced mine -- though I can't say I studied/copied it -- more just in the blood from hearing that album a lot -- seems like the girls I was hanging out with liked it a lot.  I don't think country blues is quite the right term for it.  I think of Sonny Terry when i hear that term though piedmont blues may actually be better for Sonny.  It's really folk music (maybe a tad pop folk).  For some reason I think that John Sebastian may have been an influence on JE, but I'm just making that up based on a folky, blues influenced, acoustic sound.  JE does not have that "playin' through a rack" sound that many folkies of his era had.  Maybe somebody with some better real knowledge of history will chime in.  Mostly I just wanted to walk down memory lane a little!!
--jk

Any info about his style, harps, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rich