[Harp-L] Dopp Kit - Harp Tote

Dopp Kit - Harp Tote

I am an amateur, and have little need for waterproof mil-spec gear. This is my current gig-kit - compact, lightweight, and foamless.

Since airport security banned Dopp kits, demanding ZipLocs instead, the storied men's toiletry travel case has all but disappeared. I picked up mine at a dollar store. It is cordura nylon, 4" wide x 9.5" long x 5" high, 7" nylon strap on one end, and 11" nylon zipper along the top. There are nice leather ones still in production as well, but not for a dollar.

I cut and slotted small 3" wide masonite panels to make six compartments, each capable of holding 4 diatonics (on-end). I assembled the intersecting slotted panels inside the case, carefully white-glued all the joints, and let it dry for a day. It looks somewhat like this:
 __ __ __

The harmonicas stick up an inch above the frame and are easy to access. The ends are labeled for 1st and 2nd position (e.g. 1-G and 2-D). I use a casio labeler with quarter-inch (6mm) tape and large characters, and I am able to read them in the dimmest of lighting. My most frequently played diatonics reside in the two center compartments.

I also use a padded nylon pistol case to tote two harp mics and their cables. I used to like my Halliburton briefcase, but it takes on the ambiance of a drug dealer, ala Miami Vice.

Domains as low as $1.95 @ http://www.iDotz.Net