[Harp-L] Re: Amp modelers

"jcolbyspell@xxxxxxxx" wrote:
<Have any of you used software based amplifier modelers for recording.  Most, ok all, of these are designed for guitar.  There are several really <well know commercial versions like, Amplitude and GuitarRig.  There are also some freeware VSTs that I have used on harmonica with decent <results.  I am also intrigued by using non-traditional amps in modeler form.  For instance a 100 watt Marshall stack would not be great from a <feedback standard but using a VST on a computer you can get what it would sound like sans noise.  I have heard some great sounds from <hardware based modelers but it would be cool to hear peoples experiences with software based ones.  The amp VST that I use is called <Aradazamp White.  I combine it with a delay plugin and it sounds pretty nice.  There is also a nice freebie called Rednef.  It is nice too if I <remember.  Crazy name but read it backwards and you will see what it is going for.  I use these in Music Creator which is a home consumer <version of Sonar.  If you record using a software based system that can use VST plugins, you should try it.

I own and use a variety of commercial and freeware software-based modelers, in addition to the hardware Digitech RP modelers that I use for performance and occasional recording.  The ones I use most frequently are Line 6 Amp Farm (now updated to Pod Farm) and Studio Devil Virtual Guitar Amp (VGA), both commercial products.  Line 6 Amp Farm is my favorite for harp, and in particular there's a Fender Bassman model that I love, with and without effects.  You can hear variations on this model in my recordings "Kill the Doctor (That Killed My Wife)", "Lever Down (Remix)", "Ridin Blues", and "This Thing I Do So Well," all at http://taxi.com/rhunter.

If I know what sound I want on the harp right from the start, I'm likely to use one of the Digitech hardware modelers.  My recordings of "In the Night", "Pull of the Moon," and "Paris Boogie" use the Digitech RP200 with various amp models.  I'm increasingly excited about the sounds in my RP350, and I expect to use it on a lot of upcoming recordings--in fact, I'm starting to incorporate it into my thinking at the composition stage.

The great things about the software-based models are low cost (a roomful of amps, cabs, and effects for $100!), flexibility, and high quality.  For that matter, those are the advantages of the hardware modelers too.  Most people certainly can't tell the difference between a "real" amp on a recording and an amp model.  Even more exciting, as per the original poster's message above, is that you can set up your rig onstage and in studio to include amps that you would otherwise never be able to use (even if you could afford them!).

Computer Music magazine's monthly DVD includes a very nice freeware amp modeler, and lots of other free, high-quality instruments and tools for computer musicians.  It's a good place to start building a collection of software.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter