Re: [Harp-L] Overbends on tremolo harps and the Discrete Comb

Actually, discrete chambers make overbends EASIER - no pesky opposing reed to interfere. That's the whole principle behind the Discrete Comb, my invention (I also was the first person to apply the term "discrete comb" to harmonicas). The Discrete Comb puts this capability in the format of a standard 10-hole diatonic.

Tremolo harmonicas and the Discrete Comb allow you to isolate ANY reed on the harp (except ones where a hole is punched between the top and bottom chamber, as on some Hohner tremolos).

When isolated, a reed will:

-- bend down like a "valved bend", with no specific limit to how far the note will bend; that's a matter of reed adjustment and player skill

-- bend UP on the opposite breath (draw bend on a blow reed, blow bend on a draw reed) and produce a stronger, more stable overblow or overdraw than you would get in a dual-reed system.

At Jason Ricci's Harmonica Blow OFF on August 11, I will be playing an A-harp with a Discrete Comb on a tune called "The Tinge." "The Tinge" is also in A, so I'll be in first position. But half of the tune is in A minor, so I have to play overblows to get some of the minor notes, including Hole 1 overblow. Not only will I play that overblow, I will bend it UP two semitones, because the stability of the Discrete Comb allows for this. I'll also do some "valved" bending of notes that don't usually bend down, like Blow 6.

WInslow

Winslow Yerxa