[Harp-L] Re: cord for crystal mic

According to an acquaintance who manages a large music  store, a well known
cable manufacturer did some homework on  the subject of length vs signal
loss in Hi-Z applications.  They found in  some applications at 20 feet the
signal deterioration becomes unacceptable.  This probably  wouldn't make a
difference at the average jam session, but  in some performance situations the
conclusion was that your cable  should be no more than 18' 7"  (according
to the above mentioned  manufacturer).  At the time, this company was indeed
selling cables of 18.5  feet, looking at current offerings this is no longer
the case.  My guess is  that this was a marketing decision, that they lost
sales to those offering a 20  or 21 foot cable.  For critical recording
purposes the cable should be much  shorter, maybe 10 feet.

FYI - I hand fabricate nice custom cables with screw fitting ends. I use
expensive Mogami OFC wire, silver solder, triple shrink wrap... very good
stuff  in all aspects.  Chuck Gurney builds similar, he's the only other
customizer I know of who builds cables to this high of  a standard. if there are
more please chime in.  I haven't seen or  received feedback on the screw end
cable offered by Musicians Friend,  Guitar Center etc, no idea how the
quality stacks up, didn't see anything like  OFC wire mentioned in the specs. If
anyone has one & you don't mind  sharing your impressions please contact me
on list or off.

As always, my 'Harp Mic Buyers Guide' is free for the asking... see you at
SPAH,

Christopher Richards
'Twin Tone' Harmonica Microphones
_http://home.comcast.net/~bluzeharp/site/?/home/_