RE: [Harp-L] auto tune

I've used a pitch correction tool on a couple of recordings to fix a particular out-of-tune note on the harmonica.  (Sometimes you don't notice that it's out of tune until after the recording is done and you're into mixing.)  I've never used it for the kind of extreme sound that T-Pain gets on his pieces.

Anything that makes a sound can be forced to create extreme sounds.   Sometimes the extreme sounds are interesting.  (Like Jimi Hendrix--hmmm, I wonder what that Marshall amp sounds like with every control dimed?  I wonder what it sounds like with the Wah thing.  I wonder what it sounds like when you play it backwards...)  If you overuse them, they get mundane, and then they're not interesting anymore.  T-Pain said recently that auto-tune was getting old, and it was time for him to do something newer if he wanted to stay in front of the pack.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter