From: michael rubin [mailto:michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:19 PM
To: Anthony Smith
Cc: hashbb@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Mitch Kashmar Live CD..................

I disagree with Anthony.

Music is not a competition.  I liken music to a game of hacky sack. No
teams, no points.  No need to apologize if you drop the ball, no one is
going to the hospital because a bean sack hit the ground.

However, I do agree with Anthony that the music business is a competition.
I also think that competitive feelings are my number one big green monster
and every time I worry about competition it gets me nothing but pain.

I also think humans experience competitive feelings concerning the artistic
side of music.  I believe these feelings arise when believing the story of
the illusion of artistic competition.  This mostly brings pain but also
brings the positive element of awareness that art can be improved both on
technical and feeling levels and can cause a player to practice these
techniques and improve.

Alright, Iceman, I will quote you from the Augusta days: TNT, talent, not
turf.

I find that the more I enjoy my friendly neighborhood harmonica players and
teachers and trust that my money goals will be met, the more that I have
great talented friends who I get to play music with at harmonica events and
I can take a lesson from them if they are more advanced than I am at a
certain element of harp.  They invite me to parties and we share meals and
friendship at SPAH type events and at home.  The money seems to flow in
naturally and every year I consistently find myself making my money goals.

So, the competition is there if you want it.  Enjoy the pain.
However, to not experience competitive feelings is easier said than done.  I
feel them often.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com

On 7/16/09, Anthony Smith <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree with much of what you said except for, " Music is not a
> competition, and never should be."  Everything in life is competition
> and music is no exception.  Each and every musician is competing
> against every other musician for the consumers time and money.
> Everything has an "opportunity cost" associated with it.  By choosing
> a PB sandwich, you forgo eating a roast beef sandwich.  By choosing
> "this", you forgo choosing "that" and that is the point here.

Nickels and Dimes.