Re: [Harp-L] Intro, occasional player,... Portland Waterfront Blues Festival Review

Robert Cazares <robertcazares@xxxxxxxxx> wrote about the Portland Waterfront Blues Festival:

Dick Waterman, Photographer -
One of my personal highlights on Friday afternoon was the Blues
Photography Workshop by Dick Waterman.
I had no idea what to expect of this hour presentation.
What occurred was story-time along with huge photographs to accompany
the stories.
Not being familiar with his name or work, the amount of images
displayed and his recollections (whether entirely true or embellished)
starting in the mid-sixties and continuing to present-day was indeed
impressive.
His photography displayed included -
Muddy Waters, Bonnie Raitt, Howlin' Wolf, Allen Toussaint, Albert
Collins, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, James Cotton, John Lee Hooker, Chuck
Berry, Buddy Guy & Junior Wells, and many many more.
I have to say that it was an incredible experience, to see these great
musicians, captured in glorious black and white, displayed and talked
of. If you are a photographer and need inspiration, I think Mr.
Waterman may be able to deliver.
If you ever have opportunity to hear him show his work and speak, run,
don't walk, and make sure you're not late. You'll be glad you did.

Robert, I am quite envious of your opportunity to see Dick Waterman and his photographs in person. I'm glad you availed yourself of it. You didn't mention some of Dick's other blues credentials. He "discovered" Son House and took him away from his passenger train Porter job to perform on the folk-blues circuit. Dick also managed Junior Wells and Buddy Guy amongst many others.

He also authored one of my all-time favorite books, "Between Midnight and Day, The Last Unpublished Blues Archive." It's a magnificently printed book containing dozens of his famous black & white photographs of a legion of legendary blues performers. Along with a single or a series of pictures, depending on the artist, Dick shares a few personal anecdotes about the artists. Thing is, Dick ~was there~! Dick knew these blues legends personally and represented many of them professionally.

The book is chock full of terrific photographs that appeal to both the blues hound and the photographer in me, and the stories he relates are pure gems of history. A must have for any serious blues fan. (I got the paperback version, which may be hard to find these days...)

Oh, yeah. Dick has a store in Oxford Mississippi.

Thanks for the report, Robert, and welcome aboard Harp-L!

Michelle