[Harp-L] Playing With Groups

I don't know if this will be any consolation Flash, but you are not alone.
I had a similar but much less unpleasant experience recently.  Nobody was
unkind.  I just embarrassed myself.  I was playing with just a guitar.  The
guitar player is a very solid musician and I am not a loud player, at least
I don't think I am.  I was standing up there wailing away and suddenly
realized that not only was I out of time but also, I couldn't separate out
the rhythm.  It was frightening.  When we played together, all I heard in
spots was mush.  No separation, no parts, no beat.  That had never happened
to me before.  I am hoping this was just was a freak incident.  Bad sound
settings, whatever.  But, I have scheduled a private session with the guitar
player to get in some practice and see if we can work it out.  But, if I'm
still hearing mush, or worse, intermittently hearing mush, I'll have to get
my hearing checked.  I understand that hearing problems are very common
among musicians.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK