[Harp-L] This ever happen to travelling harp players?

Rob,

I have travelled thousands of miles carrying my harps with me, on various Airlines, all over the world. I ALWAYS take them aboard.  Now...my technique for getting through security with as few hassles as possible is as follows:

#1: MOST IMPORTANT:  I never assume the TSA (or whatever service that airport is using) will recognize the case and the contents for what it is...I always assume ,y harps will get someone's attention, hence I prepare for it.  I put my sighs, eye rolls and the ole' "jeez, c'mon..you-gotta'-be-kidding blank stare" in check as I prepare for the possibility that they won't recognize - I know, hard to believe - harmonicas when they see them.

#2:  I assure that the harp case is the last thing I send through the xray machine before I go through the metal/density detector so I can better assure I am on the other side before, or right as, the x-ray reader is looking at the harp case.

#3:  When I notice the inevitable "eye brow" up, or a slight jaw drop accompanied by a "what the hell is that" look, I immediately chime up and say "harmonicas".

Believe it or not it is usually appreciated, as I get a lot of nods, ah-ha's and thank-you's.  Only once did I get a wise-guy response of "how do you know what I am looking at?"...we all must suffer misreable people now and then right?

Guitars are whole 'nother story, though I recommend..STRONGLY...if you are going to check them in as baggage you you all invest in a nice Anvil (or similar make) case.

Good luck and safe travels...

Also, if you are on facebook, please check out Harmonica 411...the fastest worlds growing group about and for harmonica players on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/nancibatson#/group.php?gid=38911044978&ref=ts

Jeff Silverman