[Harp-L] Butterfeild

Butterfield knocks me out. An enormous influence on my playing (and on the playing of many others who are a lot better players than I am). His phrasing alone is an inspiration. And he is authentic. Others may or may not agree, but I rank him right up there with the all time great blues harp players. WHY? Not just because his style is authentic and his technique is masterful, but also, and more importantly, because he is not an imitator. He has a distinct style of his own. No one was playing harp like that before PB. Butterfield paved the way for Sugar blue, Jason Ricci, Lee Oskar and so many others. His influence cannot be overestimated.

And, btw, he does use chords, octaves, split intervals and double stops (listen to “Too Many Drivers” for example). PB did not have to imitate ODBGs to be one of the greatest blues harmonica players of the 20th century. He had a style of playing the blues that was uniquely his own, and that’s why we are still talking about him now, long after his death. Whether one likes his playing or not is a different question and a subjective matter. But, by any objective standard, his musicianship, the originality of his approach and the enormity of his influence is undeniable.

For proof of his authenticity, listen to PB playing with Muddy Waters in “The Last Waltz” and on “The Muddy Waters Woodstock Album.” As far as his innovation is concerned, I played “The Work Song’ and “East West” for a friend of mine a few months ago and she simply could not believe it when I told her those tunes were recorded in 1967. Timeless originality.

JP