Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci Revue from Orlando Blues Society - OBBS

He play the hell out of the blues at a recent Bucks County Blues Society ( the oldest continually running blues society, fyi)Âshow I attended. I didn't see any old blues stalwarts walk out on this one. Even the hard core, pool playin'Âbikers stuck around.ÂHe also played the hell out of

funk,rock, eastern, keyboard harp, and any thing else his bas ass wanted to do. I like Jasons approach to harp. It is refreshing to hear something new and not some living Karaoke machine that can play all of the great bluesmens songs note for note. If they did that Blues harp would be more obscure than it is now. Peace2,ÂJB http://www.myspace.com/jimbudnickijbreed http://www.bucksbluessociety.com/

---- Original Message -----
From: "Splash" <celtiac@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l" <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 7:30:14 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci Revue from Orlando Blues Society - OBBS

----- Original Message -----
Jason Ricci Revue from Orlando Blues Society - OBBS
>He plays a blues set list when he plays BLUES EVENTS. Was this a blues
event? I doubt it.

ÂÂ Â Â Â Â ÂWhen JRNB played Blue Tuesday at Boston's on the Beach, a show
that was hosted by Frank Ward of the Knucklebusters Blues Band, they did
mostly blues and blues oriented stuff. ÂAlso in attendance was the winner of
the 2009 IBC JP Soars, who sat in for several numbers. ÂThat was a blues
show! ÂAlso Jason did not disappoint his fans who always expect something a
little "out there."
---
>Nope, it ain't your grandad's Blues......

>...and if that's all that the Blues is allowed to be, Next year it will
befour members, then three, then......

ÂÂ Â Â Â Â ÂJust looking at the appearance of Jason and the gang, you just
have to know that there's a new posse in town. ÂAin't no grey-haired ODBGs
here!
---
> IMITATE then ÂASSIMILATE and finally INNOVATE
>
> Jason's fans like the fact that he has reached and is working on the
latter ...

ÂÂ Â Â Â Â ÂI have to wonder if any "Blues Society" members walked out of
the show muttering to themselves. ÂNot surprising that they liked RJ, who
can play ODBGs "note for note."
---
>anyone know what show this refers to? or what they did play?

ÂÂ Â Â Â Â ÂJuly 8, 8pm show at the Plaza Theater 425 N. Bumby, Orlando, FL
---
>> He certainly could play the hell out of that...if he wanted Âto.

>well, yeah. Âhe can and does. Âjust not all the time. Âdeal with it.

ÂÂ Â Â Â Â ÂIt sounds like the reviewer was expecting to see a 21-year-old
Jason who won the "Sonny Boy Blues Society contest, performed at The King
Biscuit Blues Festival, LIVED and played with Big Bad Smitty, David
Kimbrough, and RL Burnside..."
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â ÂHe obviously failed to read the JRNB band bio from their current
website. ÂNo wonder he was expecting something else.
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â"Blues, Rock, Funk, Jazz Fusion, Eastern, Punk, Carnival,
Psychedelic, Performance Art and more are all regularly attached
descriptions of the band Jason Ricci and New Blood. Defying category,
without defying the techniques, authenticity and disciplines of any one of
those category is a rare and dangerous high wire act this band has been
balancing expertly year after year, award after award, show after show, fan
after fan and album after album."

Quotes from JRNB website: http://www.jasonricci.com/epk/

ÂÂ Â Â Â Â ÂJason is still growing. ÂBut not growing "up."
---

One more comment... ÂI wonder what he would say after seeing one of the
great OLiveBGs Taj Mahal these days. ÂTaj is touring with Bonnie Raitt, but
hasn't stopped expanding his music to encompass more diverse styles from any
and all genre's, constantly growing, not like some old rock and rollers.
example: Chuck Berry who does the same songs the same way at every show and
has been doing same-O same-O for decades. ÂMy suggestion: Go to Chuck's
show. ÂYou will know what to expect and will not be disappointed.

If you like surprises and want to see something new and cutting edge by a
band of four individual virtuosi, well......

PEACE
Splash