[Harp-L] ] Re: JASON RICCI CONCERT REVUE

I gotta admit, I forwarded this post to the "L" to instigate a healthy discussion/debate regarding new style and how it is perceived by traditional listeners. One issue was that this concert was heavily promoted by the Orlando Blues groups, so a lot of people attended who didn't know anything about Jason.

Personally, if it were me being criticized, I wouldn't be bent out of shape, as I realize that it is the introduction of a unique music to a traditional audience. Once you are out there, if all you read are the positive revues, you are in fantasy land. The less than positive revues should be part of your education and knowledge of how your music affects all audiences, not just your friends/family/fans. It can help you decide how best to market yourself and/or tweak your shows in case you want to appeal to more of the public. For instance, I believe if Jason had included a few traditional tunes to his evening that it would have pleased more of the audience at this particular show.

If it were me, I'd start the show perhaps solos acoustic harp/vocal a la Sonny Boy, slowly add back up musicians working through a few more traditional tunes leading up to the full fledged frontal attack that Jason is known for. That way, I might be able to finesse a more traditional audience into joining the journey towards acceptance of the new "punk" material.

I haven't even read the posts on the "L" re: this revue, but it will be interesting to note who ends up criticizing the audience in this case rather than accepting the fact that an audience is an audience and all audiences are good for a performer - even the ones that don't understand the music at this time (Bob Dylan and his Electric Band playing traditional folk concerts, Lee Michaels doing a tour leaving his B-3 at home and doing solo acoustic piano, Miles Davis and his electric explorations, etc).

What follows is a comment posted regarding the initial revue on that Orlando chat group, and I believe it is a good summation of the pros and cons: (also, I found it interesting to hear the early revues on RJ Harman. In the old world of protecting turf, looks like RJ is nipping at Jason's heels regarding up and coming bad*ss harmonica players. Of course, I know Jason is not the competitive type and most likely welcomes and encourages younger artists like RJ.)

Now, I'll read the postings on the "L".........

There are some very cool Youtube videos of Jason playing in a very traditional style with Josh Miller at jam at the Beach Shack.  He knows the stuff but is doing his own thing.  I think of him as kind of the harp version of Nick Curran, who has delved into punk and psychobilly as well.  It's not necessarily my cup of tea, but I applaud him for working out his own niche.  And if it meant a bunch of younger people got to see and hear RJ Harmon, it was definitely a good thing.