Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci Revue from Orlando Blues Society - OBBS

> Interesting evening, but this was not a blues show.

probably not.  anyone know what show this refers to?
or what they did play?

> Jason Ricciâs persona is all Punk

yeah, pretty much.

> and his performance pretty much was in that style.

uh, unless he's completely changed since i last saw him, this is just
not accurate.  i'd guess this reviewer has no idea what Punk is.

but as far as the rest of it goes?  well, yeah, JRNB is not a blues band.
nor do they try to be.  they play some blues, sure, but they also play
rock, funk, jazz, and some tunes that defy categorization
(e.g. "enlightenment").  and they play the hell out of it.

on a whim, i went and looked at the most recent show on the LMA:
http://www.archive.org/details/jrnb2009-04-22.flac16
out of 20-ish songs, there are 5 that i'd call blues.

listen to any of them.  i'm at a loss to understand how anyone could
hear those songs and think he "isnât playing the kind of harmonica that
I would call  blues".  how is he supposed to play them?

not your cup of tea?  fine.  but there's not much content in this review,
besides "they didn't play my favorite kind of music".  sounds like the
problem is with the reviewer's preconceptions more than with the band.

> He certainly could play the hell out of thatâââif he wanted to.

well, yeah. he can and does. just not all the time. deal with it.