[Harp-L] What I can stuff in the new Rupert Oysler non-signature case from Seydel

Here is my report on the Rupert Oysler non-signature case from Seydel....

The picture on the Seydel site shows this neat configuration of Seydels, my gig bag, however, had been anything but neat, it's a collective Frankenstein of various harps I carry around. So, what could I cram in it?

First let me answer the chromatic question that came up before. The case has designated places with holders for two chromatics (or your mic cord, mic or whatever) It will hold six 12-hole chromatics. What you do is get one of those softcases for the MOuntain Harp 96, which are nice and $7. They make great chromatic cases. You can stack two chromatics on each side of the diatonics (in the space they've given for wrapping a mic cord around the diatonic area), then put two in the chromatic/mic holders.
The two designated chromatic spaces are big enough for two 16 hole chromatics and you would still have the room for the 12 holes on the side.

Here's what's in mine, all customized by me unless otherwise mentioned, instead of saying Elk River Specials, I'll say what harp they are made from:
1) A Richter tuned Low C Chromatic DeLuxe with one third of the finish on the comb bottom shaved off hastily with a pocket knife down to bare wood so Charlie McCoy could sign it and Bandmaster Tremolo coverplate on the front.
2) A 270 chromaticI've had since I was 14.
3)A 270 Chromatic A (non customized, but needs it)
4) A Marine Band 365 Low C tuned paddy richter
5) A Borrah Minnevitch Technique Tone Chromatic G

The slots are layed out so you can configure your harps like the keys on a piano (with an extra black key slot above  B and C keys) It folds out so you can access and see both at the same time. It's cool, cause you automatically know where your harp is. You could literally find it blindfolded.

Back to what I put in there:
In the white key spaces:
6) E Seydel Solist Pro
7) Low D Seydel Session
8) D Seydel 1847 Silver Plus
9) C Seydel 1847 with Deming Wood American Chestnut mojo comb
10) B Seydel Solist from 2006, back in the day when they were unsealed. It's still unsealed and uncustomized, but if I ever have to play in F#, I'm ready. 2003 was the last time I played in that key.
11) An A Prewar Marine Band customized by Jason Ricci
12) G Seydel Solist

In the Black Key spaces
13) Low F# Seydel Solist, tuned down from a G Seydel Solist
14) Eb Golden Melody customized by Randy Sandoval.
15) Db Marine Band
16) Low Bb Seydel Favorite with Sandoval Corian comb
17) Bb Golden Melody customized by Jason Ricci
18) Ab Solist Pro

On the other side of the divider are slots for the harps that don't belong in the white key/black key category, the oddballs, these balls are very odd.
19) F Seydel Solist, customized by Audrey Payne, my 8 year old daughter.
20) Mini Prewar Seydel Bandmaster, 10 holes High G, only like three inches long. It's in a slot, so it takes up the same amount of space as a normal harp.
21) The SmoJoe tuned Db Special 20 that Joe Leone made the replacement reed out of a .38 special cartridge he'd shot, prolly at a 'gator in defence of his home;) It's also the harp he plays in the After the Lovin' video.
22) ! ! THE AWESOMEST HARMONICA OF ALL TIME, the Prewar Seydel Bandmaster G that starts on Hole 2 Richter and has the extra hole high, tuned Paddy RIchter, PERFECT 4th position tuning, with a Deming Wood American Chestnut comb, I play it in Em.
23) C Paddy Richter Seydel Solist, play it in Am.
24) A Paddy Richter, Seydel Solist, play it in F# minor (mostly alone, obviously)
25) G Seydel Favorite with maple comb, Favorite Black coverplates, tuned Elk River OCD (optimized circular diminished) tuning.

This Rupert Oysler non-signature case from Seydel fits neatly inside the photographer's backpack I've been using, which also holds 6 Seydel Concertos,aka the Star 6, Wheel O' Octave harps, the 12 chord harmonica I made retuning a prewar Vinetta and mounting it to a normal Vinetta, A Seydel Hochlandklange. A valved Seydel Bergzauber 96.I've still got room in there for some more chromatics.

So, for Seydel's Rupert Oysler non-signature case, I got 25 harps in it, four of which were chromatics and one was a 14-hole diatonic bigger than one of the chromatics, so you could count it as a chromatic. They are not crammed in there, they are as safe as a suckling babe in its mother's bosom.I think if you had to and had extra diatonics in those leather Seydel cases, you could get like 30 harps in there no sweat. What's really cool is how relatively small it is, it's just organized very, very well. It's crazy, for its size, how heavy it is with harps. It feels like I've got a case of Uranium 252 in there. It's heavy as sin, boys.

Dave
www.elkriverharmonicas.com